Airport Short Codes and General Informations
All international airports are investigated by IATA and ICAO which are international institutions and every airport have private code for IATA and ICAO. For example Istanbul Airports short code is defined as IST.
To take a short code, Airports should register to ICAO and after IATA but these institutions have some criteria to eliminate Airports which are not compatible with international standards.
Criteria of ICAO and IATA could differ from each other. Also Airports have different short codes for these two institutions. We will mention about these differences and criterias in our article.
ICAO investigates security, productivity, sustainability and technic details in an airport consulted to ICAO. By the purpose of ICAO, we could say these;
- ICAO wants to make International Civil Aviation grow in secure and regular.
- Develop flight security.
- Endue to Flight and Airport security
- Production of Air vehicles should be manufactured with peaceful purposes.
- Avoid wastage emerged owing to meaningless rivalry
- Saving rights of countries and enduing equality of oppinions-changes
IATA; International Air Transport Association arranges and investigates routes of passenger and cargo planes. Also this institution gives private short codes for all international airports. İt avoids clutters and accidents.
Duty of IATA is determine standards in airway security,speed, compatibility, sustainability an these standards are used by all around the world. All Duties of IATA could be explained like that;
- Determines standards of aviation transportation
- Endues fair competition between Airway companies
- Determines Procedures of carrying limits
- Determine procedures and standards in Airport design
- Argues problems of member countries and finds solutions
Short Codes of Important Airports
There are some airports which are preferred huge amount of people and when people want to buy a ticket from these airports, they could be confused because of short codes determined by IATA;
- Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport: ATL
- United States Dallas Fort Worth International Airport: DFW/KDFW
- United States Denver International Airport: DEN/KDEN
- United States O’Hare International Airport
- United States Los Angeles International Airport: LAX/KLAX